Many small companies assume that they have the necessary financial and accounting aspects of their business covered if they have a bookkeeper on staff to track where their money is going.
Eventually, however, they get to the point in their growth where they need to do a more professional job of managing their daily finances and of proactively laying out the road ahead.
They realize that they are missing a critical piece of the management team – an experienced senior financial manager.
That’s where Financial Managers come in. We combine strategic planning with an operating emphasis on cash management, budgeting, cash flow projection and control systems, affordably delivering that rarity among small businesses—the superior financial oversight of a CFO.
Our typical engagement includes:
- Managing receivables and payables so that cash-in matches cash-out.
- Overseeing the work of the bookkeeping/accounting staff to help produce financial information that leads to better management decisions. (We do not practice as CPAs nor do we replace the annual review work of a CPA.)
- Controlling an organization’s spending by working with the management team to develop budgets and control systems, helping all of the managers to track their progress and manage more effectively.
- Analyzing product/service costs so management can separate the winners from the losers.
- Carrying the ball with the bank and other funding sources as well as with the insurance broker, the landlord, the benefits planner – negotiating strongly as a member of the client’s management team.
- Providing strategic financial input and perspectives for medium- and long-range company planning to help create predictability, stability, and sustained financial resources.
- Working with senior managers to develop and implement a flexible exit strategy which provides clear direction and accountability.
Our average engagement extends for 18-24 months.We are generally able to make a significant positive impact for our clients by working a half a day a week, more or less, on their financially-related issues. Our rate is $150 an hour; however, we usually agree with our clients on a “menu” of responsibilities in return for a flat monthly retainer fee.